YMCA of Saginaw's 5K Training Program
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Do you want to participate in the 5K walk or run, but not sure how to take that first step? Finishing a 5K for the first time, or after a long hiatus, can seem like a daunting task. That is where the YMCA of Saginaw's 5K Training Program can help. This program helps you prepare for race day in a knowledgeable and encouraging environment, with others who are at a similar level of fitness as you.
Participants are grouped based on their ability level and program goals. Every group receives a training plan developed to optimize each group training session as well as providing workout plans for the rest of the week.
Trained and dedicated coaches provide guidance on hydration, training routine, form, and overcoming mental and physical barriers. Coaches then act as pacesetters for their group on race day. Your coaches will help you achieve your race goal beginning with that first step and continuing right across that finish line. Weekly training sessions are held at the YMCA of Saginaw.
- A 5K run or walk training plan that you will follow with weekly group training sessions led by a team of coaches
- Certified athletic trainer and physician staff available from Saginaw Valley Bone & Joint Center for injury prevention and assessment
- Educational and motivational clinics offered every other week to help you stay on track
- Free training t-shirt (moisture wicking), water bottle, training handbook and participation incentives throughout the program
- Weekly nutrition emails with recipe cards handed out at training sessions
- Discount on footwear and apparel at Runners Performance Footwear and Apparel
- Free entry into the Run for Your Heart race on September 9 (includes race day t-shirt)
- Post-race celebration
Important Program Dates
- Program kick-off and orientation - TBA
- Weekly trainings begin at the YMCA - TBA
- "Race Day and Beyond" at the YMCA - 2017 date TBD
- Race packet pick-up at MCVI - September 8
- Race day! - September 9
- Post-race celebration at the YMCA - 2017 date TBD