YMCA of Saginaw's 5K Training Program
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Get ready to cross the finish line! Whether you are someone who wants to take the first steps toward getting up and getting moving or a runner looking to improve your time, form or endurance, we have a place for you. The 5K training program offers families a fun way to be active together. Participants will meet once a week during the 10-week period for an hour of training and/or education sessions that prepare you and your family to take part in the 5k Run/Walk on Saturday, September 9, 2017, in downtown Saginaw.
Participants are grouped based on their ability level and program goals. Every group receives a training plan developed to optimize each group training session as well as providing workout plans for the rest of the week.
Trained and dedicated coaches provide guidance on hydration, training routine, form, and overcoming mental and physical barriers. Coaches then act as pacesetters for their group on race day. Your coaches will help you achieve your race goal beginning with that first step and continuing right across that finish line. Weekly training sessions are held at the YMCA of Saginaw.
- A 5K run or walk training plan that you will follow with weekly group training sessions led by a team of coaches
- Educational and motivational clinics offered to help you stay on track
- Free training t-shirt, training handbook and participation incentives throughout the program
- Weekly nutrition emails with recipe cards handed out at training sessions
- Discount on footwear and apparel at Runners Performance Footwear and Apparel
- Free entry into the Run for Your Heart race on September 9 (includes race day t-shirt)
- Post-race celebration
Important 2017 Program Dates
- Program kick-off and orientation - June 26
- Weekly trainings begin at the YMCA - Monday, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- Race packet pick-up at MCVI - September 8
- Race day! - September 9
- Post-race celebration at the YMCA - September 11